Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life. Position Summary
The Senior Scientist, Vaccine R&D (VRD) Virology position assumes a leadership role supporting the Virology team as well as the other R&D teams to achieve company pipeline objectives. Dedicated to the development, qualification, validation, and execution of pre-clinical and clinical biological assays for the testing of nonclinical and clinical samples. Supports other Vaccine Business Unit projects as needed. Works closely with and reports to the Senior Manager, VRD Virology to ensure timely delivery of project specific demands and requirements. Collaborates effectively with external collaborators and contract research organizations. Essential Functions
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Education, Experience, Skills
- Perform a wide variety of tasks in the laboratory: Troubleshoot, optimize, and execute bench experiments carefully and precisely. Make detailed observations as experiments are conducted. Maintain complete and accurate records of all work done in the laboratory.
- Develop, optimize, qualify, and/or validate immunoassays or other assays to support clinical trials and pre-clinical efforts
- Write and review technical reports, research protocols, SOPs, grant proposals IND sections and scientific manuscripts for publication.
- Analyze data and interprets results. Present and discuss results of experiments with the department and project teams.
- Participate on cross-functional project teams and coordinate intradepartmental research efforts
- Train, mentor, and supervise research scientists and associates.
- Work with a high degree of independence to lead R&D projects and contribute to project planning
- Contribute to the design and development of new pipeline vaccines; perform proof-of-concept studies related to the development of new technologies.
- Maintain high level of scientific expertise through familiarity with current scientific literature
- PhD in a related scientific discipline with minimum of 4 years of experience, MS with 8 years of experience in a research environment or BS with 10 years of relevant experience in a research environment with demonstrated scientific skill sets
- Technical expertise in virus purification and virus neutralization assays
- Technical expertise in immunological assays such as ELISA, ELISpot, HAI, Flow cytometry, western blot, immunofluorescence
- Technical expertise in molecular biology techniques and reverse engineering of viruses
- Thorough understanding of concepts related to immunology and vaccine development against infectious diseases
- Knowledge and experience with operating in regulated GCLP laboratory environments
- Excellent understanding of scientific methods and statistical analysis
- Ability to analyze complex data and reach valid scientific conclusions
- Excellent verbal and technical writing skills
- Capable of searching scientific literature to gain information about specific topics.
- Plan project tasks effectively, prioritize, keep to timeline, and multi-task
- Ability to prepare and present research results to medium and large groups both internally and externally
- Demonstrated ability to think independently, contribute and collaborate with cross functional project teams, troubleshoot effectively, and solve complex technical issues
- Flexible and cooperative spirit with strong commitment to team efforts
- Able to effectively lead a team of researchers
- Highly self-motivated, with excellent organizational skills and critical-thinking skills
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions' approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions' approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.