The Senior Manager of Product Development is responsible for developing best-in-class product enhancements that deliver superior functional performance and great value as a member of the senior leadership team in the Category Management group. This role will collaboratively synchronize product initiatives with the quality, global sourcing, and merchandising groups. The highest levels of product functionality, quality, and speed to market are critical components in the success of position.
The Senior Manager provides product management and leadership to a global product group in California and a development team in China. Success is measured relative to launching products to the market based on the development schedule.
They lead, direct, review, approve product design and make detailed plans to accomplish goals and direct the integration of technical activities, analyze technology, resource needs, market demand, and to plan and assess the feasibility of projects; approximately 50% to development of new products and 50% on existing product with sustaining, updates, customization and redesign.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads cross functional product development teams and execute targeted development calendars to ensure that product processes ultimately achieve performance, quality and time to market goals
- Delivers best in class product features that increase top line sales, reduce returns, and drive brand equity
- Ensures compliance with core company values and consistently drive improvement while championing transparent collaboration with other key stake holders in the business
- Leads initiatives to develop preventative action plans and catch-all processes to keep quality and performance levels consistent
- Leads the development process for existing product performance improvements and quality enhancements to compete with market leaders
- Identifies market opportunities for new product development projects to drive larger market share
- Confers with management, production, merchandising and marketing staff to discuss product/project specifications and procedures
- Coordinates and directs projects, making detailed plans to accomplish goals and directing the integration of technical activities
- Analyzes technology, resource needs, and market demand, to plan and assess the feasibility of products/projects
- Directs, reviews, and approves product design and changes
- Creates a motivated and empowered team - team building & employee development
- Develops and modify the Automotive Product Lines
- Assesses current global development team, in progress projects, the product roadmap and historical project delivery, tollgate process outcomes, and other products
Education, Experience, and Key Characteristics:
- BS Engineering or similar undergraduate degree
- Understands how Development Engineering fits in the manufacturing business (Quality, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Sales, and Marketing).
- Product development experience with automotive equipment
- 8-10 years of related product development experience including a solid understanding of testing standards and regulatory compliance standards: UL, CSA, ANSI, etc.
- Willingness to travel and work in China with excellent cultural sensitivity as well as genuine appreciation and respect for cultural differences
- Experience leading global development teams, and a proven history of creating processes that deliver winning products to market
- A track record of successfully partnering with multiple cross functional key stakeholders, and ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Extensive problem solving experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience evaluating tools, offshore factories, and manufacturing processes in order to perform root cause analysis and implement sustainable solutions to improve product quality and performance
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to mentor and develop employees
General office environment requiring ability to:
- Stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time
- Speak and listen to others in person and over the phone
- Use keyboard and read from computer screen and reports
- Lift up to 15 lbs.
- Ability to travel frequently within China to various supplier manufacturing sites
- Ability to walk factory manufacturing operations and spend considerable time on the factory floor
- Performs this job safely in accordance with standard operating procedures and good manufacturing practices, without endangering the health or safety of self or other