Petco is looking for a SOX Senior Analyst to join our Internal Audit team, reporting to the Director of SOX Compliance located in the San Diego Support Center. You will work closely with key internal and external partners to support the design, implementation and testing of our annual SOX program. You will have the unique opportunity to gain broad exposure to the operations of the company and build close partnerships across the entire organization.
Essential Job Functions: Through previous background and experience the candidate must demonstrate, with or without an accommodation, the ability to...
- Manage our Risk and Controls application to perform the quarterly SOX 302 sub-certification process and maintain key SOX documentation (control matrices, process flows, and other documentation)
- Assist in the annual SOX 404 financial statement mapping, risk assessment, and scoping process
- Design control test plans and testing approaches based on risk analysis
- Assess the design and test the operating effectiveness of internal controls over financial reporting, including IT and Accounting controls, in support of the SOX compliance program
- Assist in coordinating and participate in process walkthroughs with management (process owners) and external auditors to ensure adequate control design and identification of "key" controls
- Assist process owners in the preparation and on-going maintenance of SOX process documentation and process flowcharts
- If a SOX control deficiency occurs, consult with IT and/or business units to evaluate the severity and impact of the deficiency, determine appropriate remediation plans, and track remediation status
- Assist in the evaluation of changes in process, people, and technology that may have an impact to internal controls over financial reporting, document SOX impact and provide controls guidance and training, as required
- Perform reviews over SOC 1 reports, including assessing the overall conclusion, sub-service
- Work cross functionally with Finance, IT, and Operations to advise over SOX best practices and provide guidance on controls \
- Perform additional projects as assigned by the Director of SOX Compliance or the Vice President of Audit Services
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interact professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication with all professional contacts with emphasis on company interests.
- Independently prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks within established timeframes.
- Analyze data gathered through observation, interviews, tests and reported results, identifying, quantifying and reporting findings, results and recommendations.
- Perform special projects as assigned by Internal Audit management.
Nature of Supervision:
- Incumbent is responsible for exercising discretion and independent judgment when performing job duties and must display a high degree of professionalism and respect toward Associates or others being audited.
Planning and Problem Solving:
- Planning required for the position includes the ability to organize multiple projects and competing priorities for best use of time.
- This position often solves problems of inefficient or ineffective processes, tools, or lack of reporting for management. Some examples of problem solving are auditing cross-functional activities and mapping potential risks, controls gaps, and monitoring oversight activities.
- The candidate will have the opportunity to learn various functions across Petco's business model and apply that expertise to providing value-added solutions to various teams (e.g. finance, risk management, loss prevention, information technology, operational, and merchants) with a focus on revenue generation, profit improvement, and internal control enhancements.
Although no direct reports are assigned, may act in a lead capacity to less experienced audit associates on specific audit projects including assignment delegation, training and follow through.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as a degree in finance, accounting, and/or information systems
- 3-5 years of experience in Audit, SOX Compliance, or Accounting
- Experience performing SOC 1 evaluations
- Working knowledge of internal controls over financial reporting (ICFR), SEC standards, PCAOB standards and COSO framework
- Experienced in designing test plans, testing and concluding on the operating effectiveness of IT general controls, business process controls, and IT automated controls
- Experienced in documenting and evaluating deficiencies and assisting management with designing remediation plans
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills, and presentation skills that allow you to convey tough messages in a kind way
- Strong personal integrity with the highest ethical standards
- Extremely organized; superior attention to detail and a dedication to high quality work
- Experience with Audit Board is a preferred
- Demonstrate Adaptability and Desire to Learn -- Works productively in the face of ambiguity or uncertainty. Demonstrates flexibility and resilience in response to obstacles, constraints, adversity, and mistakes. Constructively and resourcefully adapts to changing needs, conditions, priorities or opportunities. Seeks out opportunities to learn from new discoveries, innovations, ways of looking at things, knowledge, and ideas. Invites and incorporates feedback, without becoming defensive.
- Perform Professional Analysis -- Integrates information from a variety of sources to arrive at a broader understanding of issues (e.g., company reports plus in-store observations).Defines issues clearly despite incomplete or ambiguous information. Identifies the key issues in complex or ambiguous problems. Approaches problems or issues systematically, looking for connections, trends, and potential causes. Probes and looks past symptoms to determine the underlying causes of problems and issues.
- Plan and Execute -- Develops realistic plans (e.g., action steps, timelines) to accomplish objectives. Acquires and leverages resources, processes, and tools to achieve business goals. Prioritizes and balances time, actions, and projects to ensure accomplishment of results. Holds him/herself and team accountable for outcomes (e.g., achieving goals and complying with policies and procedures). Anticipates and addresses obstacles, redirecting efforts to accelerate the work or improve quality.
- Produce Results -- Initiates decisive, timely action to address important issues. Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership and a commitment to achieving meaningful results. Sets challenging, clear goals/targets and expectations for achieving business results. Drives initiatives/efforts to successful completion and closure. Takes personal responsibility to make decisions and take action.
- Satisfy the Customer -- Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs. Seeks feedback from customers to identify improvement opportunities. Follows up with customers to ensure problems are solved. Continually searches for ways to improve customer service (including the removal of barriers, and providing solutions).
- Use Professional Judgment -- Makes logical, rational, and integrative decisions, and arrives at sound conclusions. Chooses the best alternative(s) based on a review of pros, cons, tradeoffs, timing, and probabilities. Evaluates the consequences and implications of alternatives, actions, or decisions (e.g., impact on sales, returns, customer loyalty). Makes timely decisions, balancing analysis with decisiveness.
- Up to 20% overnight travel to various company locations is required. Due to the travel requirements of this position, incumbent must possess a valid driver's license and a clean driving record. A DMV printout must be provided prior to the first day of employment.
- The majority of interaction will occur with all levels of associates and management in the performance of job duties as they relate to internal audit procedures and will generally entail the routine exchange and gathering of information.
The above description is meant to provide an overview/summary of the nature and level of work being performed; it should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and requirements of the job. PETCO reserves the right to modify the content formally or informally, either verbally or in writing, at any time without advance notice and employees are required to follow any other job-related duties/functions requested by their supervisor. Further, all employment at PETCO is of an at-will nature and, as such, the company reserves its right to terminate any position or employee (with or without notice and with or without cause) within its discretion.