Otherlab is an independent research & design lab pairing creativity with rigor to bring new solutions in renewable energy and robotics to market.
Similar to an accelerator/incubator with internally developed ideas, we nurture projects through the initial R&D phase. From here we form internal entities, then fundraise and spin these out into independently operating companies.
Over the past 10 years, we've raised over $70M in research and design contracts, amassed $100M in follow-on capital, and spun-out 12 companies.
Currently, we help government agencies and Fortune 500 companies understand energy infrastructure and build transformational technologies that bring us closer to 100% decarbonization.
One of Otherlab's current projects is the ISOLATION SYSTEM FOR TREATMENT AND AGILE RESPONSE FOR HIGH-RISK INFECTIONS (ISTARI aka, CareCube) patient isolation system. Over the past year, we've been developing a rapid-deploy, low-cost, negative pressure isolation unit that shifts the paradigm by wrapping the PPE around the patient instead of the healthcare provider. The Class II medical device is a patient care system that rapidly augments capacity to care for COVID-19 and other biological threats.
The project and concept began in 2014 with a DARPA grant to address Ebola and was renewed in 2019 in partnership with UNMC Infectious Disease Division that quickly refocused on COVID-19 in lockstep with the pandemic response.
This role would work directly on this project to help develop a second version of the ISTARI/CareCube system.
Otherlab has a rapidly growing ISTARI/CareCubes team prototyping and manufacturing portable medical isolation chambers. We're looking to hire an associate-level assembly technician with experience in both a workshop environment and basic administrative skills.
This is a full-time position as a Junior Technician working at the Otherlab facility in San Francisco. For more information about the ISTARI/CareCube project please visit #current-projects.
This job will encompass hands-on work for assembling and organizing units, as well as organizing and maintaining an accurate day to day inventory. As a prototyping and developing company, opportunities for problem-solving and developing new skills will come up frequently. We're looking for someone who can work independently and communicate well with others.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply!Requirements
- Handle assembly and inspection of finished goods
- Manage inventory of units, including labeling and organizing parts and materials
- Assist in supply chain logistics and order processing
- Oversee quality control of incoming parts
- Perform basic fabrication as needed
- Manage the shipping and receiving of prototypes, parts, and equipment
- Maintain day to day operations for the workspace, including overseeing safety compliance for general shop safety and Covid-19 protocols
- Support the program lead with the enforcement of company policies and standards
- 2+ years in sourcing or warehouse operations
- Enjoy solving ambiguous and analytically complex problems, and are always looking for a new challenge
- Exceptional organizational skills and enjoy building scalable operational processes
- Experience working in fast-paced start-up environments
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50lbs for short distances, able to climb ladders, move from place to place, bend, stretch, reach, kneel, twist
- Strong proficiency with data organization and management in Google drive, forms, spreadsheets, and basic math skills
- Familiarity with Google suite, Slack, ASANA or other productivity tools
- Skill and knowledge to operate basic hand tools, such as drills, bench grinders, hammers, pallet jacks, ect.
- Strong communication skills and experience corresponding effectively and promptly with team members and suppliers, using email, text, video conferencing, and phone
- Cross functional collaboration and negotiation skills
- Ability to read technical drawings
- Familiarity with Covid-19 safety protocols, including mask wearing, social distancing, and sanitary protocols
- Authorization to work in the United States
- Current driver's license
- Warehouse and/or operations experience
- Metal fabrication experience
- Sewing experience
- RF and/or Hot air welding
- Familiarity with CNC fabrication, such as laser cutters
- Basic electrical knowledge
We offer an inclusive working atmosphere where ideas are respected and developed. Our pet-friendly offices are located in two historic buildings in San Francisco's vibrant Mission district and are close to public transit, great restaurants, nightlife, and gyms. We have a multitude of exciting ongoing projects - there is never a dull day at Otherlab. Our team leads give monthly presentations at catered company lunches to give us a chance to keep up to date on projects and learn from other teams. You will have access to a 2500 sq. ft. modern prototyping shop equipped with a waterjet cutter, high-power laser cutter, 3-axis mill, CNC table router, and any of the general shop tools you could need. Below is a list of our company perks.
- Competitive health, dental, and vision benefits
- Family-friendly + paid family bonding leave policy
- Flexible and open vacation policy
- Employee contributed 401k
- Access to our 2500 sq. ft. modern prototyping shop