Noun Project (thenounproject.com) is looking for a full-time Frontend Engineer to join our distributed team.
Noun Project launched in 2011 to build a global visual language that unites the world - a language that allows quick and easy communication no matter who you are or where you are. As a leader in visual communication, we believe that visual language has the power to shape, reinforce, and change perceptions. Through initiatives like Iconathons and our Redefining Women and Diversity in Tech collections, we are building the most extensive and diverse collection of icons and photos available. Over the last decade, our community of creators has contributed millions of visuals used and loved by over 7 million people around the world.
As a part of this team you will collaborate with engineers, designers, and our head of product to build and deliver amazing user experiences for the Noun Project website. The right candidate is a lifelong learner, someone who thrives in a collaborative environment, is both disciplined and imaginative in their work, and a great communicator.
We believe broad perspectives are fundamental to serving our customers, and that diverse experiences are the key to innovation, collaboration, and awareness of the globalized context we live in. We're proud to have a team that is 43% women (50% in leadership positions), 30% BIPOC, 43% parents, and includes immigrants, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community and teammates with disabilities. We strongly encourage people from backgrounds currently underrepresented in tech to apply, and look forward to welcoming the best candidate to our team regardless of their national origin, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or physical ability.
What you'll do here
- Build and maintain accessible features using React, hooks, Apollo, and GraphQL
- Create and update styles using styled-components, CSS, and sometimes Sass
- Write tests for new and existing code using jest and react-testing-library
- Collaborate with other engineers via code review and proposals
- Collaborate with product management and designers to suggest implementation changes
- Deploy changes to production and monitor for errors
- Provide technical feedback during product discovery, design, and implementation
- Document new reusable components using Storybook.js
- Break down use cases into tasks and dependencies for smaller projects
You'll love this job if you
- Have the technical skills to understand various engineering challenges and the social skills to collaboratively tackle them with your team.
- Understand the perils of "the big rewrite" and find joy in migrating and retiring older code
- Care about accessibility
- Enjoy working with a small team
- Want a family-friendly workplace that respects personal time
What your first three months will look like
- Get familiar with any technologies we use that are new to you
- Get familiar with a few existing features
- Start on a major upcoming project
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; both with engineers and others.
- Experience with at least one front-end framework (React, Vue, or similar)
- A history of delivering successful web applications as part of a product/engineering team
Noun Project is a distributed team and we're looking for someone in roughly US time zones. Once it's safe to do so, we will resume flying our distributed team members to Los Angeles twice per year for less than a week each to meet with our team in person. Visa sponsorship is not available at this time; all candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.Benefits
- Competitive salary.
- Fortune 500 benefits including great health, dental, vision and 401K plans.
- Healthy work-life balance.
- Remote work.
- Creative & dog-friendly work environment.
- Paid family and pregnancy leave.
- Reimbursement for home office setup.
- We're small. We all share our ideas. We all collaborate.