At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you'll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us
The Boeing Defense, Space and Security, Space and Launch Division is seeking an Experienced Mechanical System Design Engineer to join the Satellite Mechanisms Engineering Team. This candidate will be a part of a high-performing engineering team that is immersed in development and high NRE projects. The candidate will assist in defining mechanisms system requirements and establishing the systems design for satellite product lines. This role will include accountability for Satellite Mechanisms Engineering across Government and Commercial Satellite Programs. The candidate should have a background in mechanisms, mechanical systems design, and structural analysis. This position is located in El Segundo, CA.
*This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility. Basic relocation is available for internal candidates.*
Primary responsibilities include:
- Supports the development of mechanism system and component designs using 3-D Computer Aided Design tools (PTC Creo, CreoView), Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T ASME Y14. 5M) standards and/or other design methods, provide product definition to other engineering groups, production operations, suppliers and external customers throughout the product lifecycle.
- Supports fabrication, assembly and test of spacecraft mechanism products to validate and verify systems and components meet requirements and specifications.
- Contributes to supplier development, test and production activities to optimize the design and achieve program goals.
- Performs mechanisms engineering with layouts, preliminary strength analysis to support trade studies, detailed design, testing requirements, materials, processes, and tools, define interfaces.
- Documents designs to meet requirements and objectives in support of product qualification and delivery.
- Supports evaluation and resolution of production and service issues.
- Supports design configuration activities by following regulatory and company approved processes and procedures.
- Provides status and following the project plan.
- Evaluates test data to validate components and systems against design requirements and objectives.
- Supports the development of new design/analysis processes and tools to improve effectiveness, quality and efficiency of the development effort. Support emerging technologies/concepts for future product designs to meet projected requirements.
This position requires an active U.S. Security Clearance with a SSBI (Single Scope Background Investigation), for which the U.S Government requires U.S. Citizenship. A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience):
- 5 years or more of experience with mechanical engineering.
- 5 years or more of experience with elements of mechanical systems design.
- Experience working with external customers.
- Experience working with matrixed team and across multiple non-engineering/engineering disciplines.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills and Experience):
- Experience with delivering on program commitments - technical, Cost, Schedule and risk management.
- Experience in systems engineering knowledge, including requirements definition, verification & validation, and risk management.
- Experience in program systems engineering with contractual SOW, IMP/IMS, technical requirements documentation, ECPs, Gated Practice, etc.
- Strong communication skills to interface with different program and customer teams.
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (eg Bachelor) and typically 5 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (eg PhD, Master+3 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.