About KB Home
KB Home (NYSE: KBH) is one of the largest and most recognized homebuilders in the United States and has been building quality homes for over 60 years. Today, KB Home operates in 38 markets across eight states, serving a wide array of buyer groups. What sets us apart is giving our customers the ability to personalize their homes from homesites and floor plans to cabinets and countertops, at a price that fits their needs. And as the first builder ever to make every home we build ENERGY STAR® certified, KB Home is able to not only design thoughtful living spaces but ones that lower the cost of homeownership. We also work with our customers every step of the way, building strong personal relationships so they have a real partner in the homebuying process and the experience is as simple and easy as possible. Learn more about how we build homes built on relationships by visiting kbhome.com.JOB SUMMARY:
The Director of Purchasing is responsible for the daily operations of the Purchasing Department and activities geared toward profitability and efficiency as well as working with the Operations team to ensure schedule and quality compliance by the Trades. This role implements department policy and facilitates the creation of action plans to achieve specific results. Responsible for the following purchasing processes: vendor and trade partner negotiations, direct cost reductions, budget reporting, and management of direct reports pending size of division. Additionally, this position has a direct or dotted line of communication with Corporate National Contracts on current national contracts and pricing. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Education/Certifications/Licenses
- Purchasing Strategy:
- Under the direction of division leadership will:
- Implement purchasing policy for the department and design action plans to achieve desired results
- Assist with establishing purchasing goals that support the business plan
- Identify improvement areas. Will recommend process improvements, and implement final solutions
- Builds strong relationships with internal departments such as: Sales, Marketing, Studio, Construction, Customer Service, and Daily Units Processing.
- Directs Cost Reduction:
- Partners with other purchasing staff and operations managers to reduce direct costs.
- Maintains and reviews monthly direct cost budgets.
- Ensures that all necessary rebate data is compiled and submitted.
- Co-leads or leads monthly calls with Corporate National Contracts for division
- Works with Architecture department to Value Engineer plan offerings
- Work with other managers to ensure all take-offs are performed correctly to ensure VC improvements
- Work with Purchasing Team to identify problem areas with take-offs and develop solutions
- Contract Administration/ Negotiations:
- Recruit and qualify larger vendor and trade base to meet divisional objectives
- Analyze trade and material proposals and negotiates all contracts to meet or exceed VC & operating gross margins
- Establish direct cost benchmarks for all existing and future product series
- Generate periodic market analysis to benchmark labor and material costs for optimization
- Oversee the recruitment and qualification of a larger vendor and trade base to meet divisional objectives
- Review bid analyses for 'best in class' vendor and trade selection
- Maintain and update Scopes of Work for reference
- Work in conjunction with Purchasing Team to maintain all vendor/ trade contracts
- Make sure that the Trades understand their staffing and cycle time commitments to our schedules and that Quality is job 1 at KB Home.
- Vendor Partner Relations:
- Facilitate NHQ Quality Assurance training with trades and supervises the results of the Bi-Annual Trade Survey
- Support Construction staff in resolving vendor and trade issues.
- Resolve elevated and/or challenging trade and vendor related issues in a timely manner.
- Communication & Reporting:
- Supervise trade and material budget on a monthly basis and provide new budgets to senior management.
- Generate projected direct costs for future communities to VP Purchasing
- Ensure direct and option costs are completed for projected new communities.
- Reviews daily reports and provides status information to upper management (VC data).
- Conducts thorough analysis of standard reports to identify discrepancies and improvement areas.
- EPG Management:
- Oversees all EPG data submittal for "as built" and "design" HERS ratings.
- Stays informed on all EPG related updates for implementation and compliance.
- Provide product information to the Purchasing team, Studio, Sales & Marketing teams.
- Provides implementation strategies.
- Oversee a staff of purchasing professionals
- Create a positive, motivating, challenging and harmonious work environment to promote productivity
- Build strong relationships with internal departments such as: Sales, Marketing, Construction, Studio, and Finance
- Conduct interviews and makes hiring decisions
- Evaluate employee performance, provide continual feedback, ensure completion of training
- Recommend and participate in development plans and corrective actions when needed
- Four-Year College Degree is required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- 5+ years of proven purchasing experience in residential homebuilding
- Demonstrated leader within residential homebuilding industry or related industry
- Demonstrated/ proven strong experience in handling major trades is a must.
- Prior hands-on field experience as a construction Superintendent or Manager is preferred
- Prior experience with high-density residential projects is highly preferred
- Understands market and industry trends
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities including motivating teams, employee development, and being results oriented
- Ability to connect with people, and develop and maintain professional relationships
- Action oriented, with the drive to push sales to successful closure
- Proven ability of being customer centric by seeking solutions from the customer's perspective
- Strong verbal & written communication, with the ability to take complex concepts and communicate accurately and persuasively
- Proven ability to lead and execute effective training sessions or conduct strong oral presentations
- Strong ability to work within a team-setting, inclusive of other's ideas, and a willingness to cooperate
- Makes quick and accurate decisions based heavily on facts, data and/or metrics
- Proficient in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. JD Edwards database experience a plus!
- Work a minimum of 8-hour days with flexibility for additional work hours when necessary
- Conduct business in a professional and ethical manner to trade partners, and coworkers to reinforce goodwill and profitability for the company
Find out why KB Home is attracting and retaining the best employees! If you are interested and qualified, please apply now. KB Home provides above average compensation packages and earnings potential, full benefits, an outstanding 401K matching program, bonus plans and amazing promotional opportunities. KB Home is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse work team. Diversity is important to KB Home!
This position is being recruited by ManpowerGroup Talent Solutions RPO, on behalf of KB Home. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.