Working under the direction of the Senior Director of Infrastructure Services, the Director will be an integral part of the IT leadership team and a key participant in all aspects of planning and management of infrastructure strategies. The Director manages cloud and on-premises based Unix and Windows systems, storage services (SAN and NAS), databases and systems services, email (Office 365/Gmail) and virtual application and desktop infrastructure. The position is also responsible for participating in the overall IT strategic planning; development of relevant processes, procedures, and documents; managing the change management review process; decision making; and representing IT at campus-level meetings pertinent to Infrastructure Services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. As a member of the Leadership team within the Division of Information Technology actively participates in envisioning strategic IT direction, goals and priorities; makes effective and efficient use of resources; sets high, achievable aspirations for services and operations that align with university goals and objectives.
2. Develop, propose, and manage the annual operating budget and long-range financial plans for systems, storage and database technology that accommodate a shift to a hybrid cloud infrastructure.
3. Develop, propose and oversee strategies to blend cloud and on-premises infrastructure consistent with IT strategies and University policy.
4. Lead cloud vendor relation efforts; participate in the selection of cloud vendors and the development of methodologies to manage their performance.
5. Mentor and advice staff to facilitate the development of the skills required to support current and future technologies and to adapt to a hybrid cloud/on-premises based strategy.
6. Develop a service-oriented team that provides seamless cloud and on premise services to students, faculty and staff and ensures stable operations of production services.
7. Develop strategic plans for the enhancement of server, cloud, desktop virtualization, storage and database services to support the campus overall technology posture; perform strategic planning and analysis for the expansion and upgrades of campus based and cloud infrastructure and participate in the strategic planning associated with campus infrastructure.
8. Lead projects to assess and improve processes and incorporate automation technologies.
9. Consult with campus community representatives, and others as appropriate, to determine the IT requirements of users as related to server, cloud, desktop virtualization, storage and database services and advise the community representatives on the direction and emphasis of these services. Provide consultation, interpretation, and diagnostic analysis to campus users.
10. Lead the IT Change Management Review process.
11. Advise the Sr. Director of Infrastructure Services on policies, standards, and procedures regarding IT infrastructure related issues.
12. Coordinate as the Lead IT Emergency Response Coordinator for various incidents and lead the development of problem resolutions for the various incidents.
13. Participate in the preparation, maintenance, and periodic testing of the campus Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Plan, to ensure the continuity of computing and communication services in the case of an event that renders IT services inoperative.
14. Prepare regular reports to senior IT Leadership on the status of all projects under the roles purview. Provide senior IT Leadership with information concerning resource utilization and scheduling. Ensure that all systems and activities are fully documented.
15. Provides leadership and guidance as necessary for production impacting incidents or service interruption events.
16. Other duties as assigned
Equivalent to graduation from an accredited 4 year college or university degree in a job related field. Equivalent to six (6) years of progressively responsible professional/administrative experience required; with three (3) of the six (6) overseeing one or more aspects of technology infrastructure services. Experience deploying and managing platform or infrastructure as a service solutions including Amazon Web Services or Azure. Experience with Oracle, MySQL, and SQL concepts. Experience with ITIL based processes (incident, change, problem, root cause analysis). Experience maintaining or leading teams responsible for windows or UNIX server environments. Led or made significant contribution to planning and managing the transition to cloud based infrastructure preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Demonstrated ability and desire to thrive in a proactive, fast pace environment managing multiple projects and operational issues. Ability to make and implement exemplary applications of information technology to support data center, systems and storage services. Ability to: lead or made significant contribution to planning and managing the transition to cloud based infrastructure; lead or make significant contributions to selecting cloud vendors and managing relationships with cloud providers. Knowledge of cloud automation tools, micro-services, containers, IaaS/PaaS/SaaS and core cloud concepts; and the tools and methods that enable an organization to provide a scalable and secure infrastructure with the capability to provision on-demand access to a blend of cloud and on-premises based resources. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community. Strong project management skills with the ability to ensure completion of department initiatives and recommendations. Strong written and oral communication skills; Strong analytical skills and attention to detail. Ability to understand and clearly relate to other members of the organization, technical manuals, software specifications and general methods of network operations and security. Ability to apply effective leadership skills to direct multi-department technical staff. Ability to facilitate productive meetings and work successfully in a team-oriented environment. Routine contact is required with IT Leads and members of the IT Leadership team. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions with problem root cause analysis. Ability to envision and implement exemplary applications of information technology to support systems, database and storage services.