WhatsApp is a fast, simple, and reliable way to talk to anyone in the world. More than 2 billion people in over 180 countries use WhatsApp to stay in touch with friends and family, anytime and anywhere. WhatsApp is not only free but also available on multiple mobile devices and in low connectivity areas - making it accessible and reliable wherever you are. It's a simple and secure way to share your favorite moments, send important information or catch up with a friend. WhatsApp helps people connect and share no matter where they are in the world.
This role involves leading and handling cutting-edge and complex legal projects and matters. You must have flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and organizational needs. In addition, you must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced, small but growing environment and work collaboratively and proactively with the legal teams well as other internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide strategic and tactical legal advice to our business team to support WhatsApp monetization and commerce initiatives
- Provide legal advice across many subject areas including data protection laws and regulations, intermediary liability, consumer protection laws, and other global legal frameworks
- Coordinate with public policy, communications, product management, engineering, product marketing, customer operations, and other cross-functional teams on external communications, policy development, product development, and product launches
- Counsel on product development and regulatory issues related to a number of WhatsApp business initiatives.
- Lead consensus-building and drive coordination with other members of the Legal team
- Manage a growing team of attorneys
- Travel domestically and internationally as required
- J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least one US state bar
- 12+ years of legal experience
- Experience taking on projects involving unfamiliar subject matters
- Experience developing approaches to legal challenges while providing business-focused legal advice
- Experience managing a team
- Experience working with mobile and other Internet and technology companies
- Experience supporting a global business team in the areas of growth, monetization and commerce
- Experience dealing with regulatory environments, including engagement experiences and relationships with applicable privacy, consumer protection, and telecom regulatory bodies
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at accommodations-ext@.