Real Asset Manager in the Food & Agricultural Sector
Seeks to Hire a CFO
Elevated Ag is a newly formed asset manager with assets already under management and looking to raise additional capital from outside institutional investors to build and manage a portfolio of real assets (farmland) specializing in permanent crops (citrus/fresh fruit) and vertically integrate its fresh fruit portfolio, in the Central Valley of California. The firm intends to leverage novel farming techniques and recent advances in ag technologies to generate above par returns for investors. Elevated Ag is seeking to hire a seasoned CFO to join its management team and to play a key role in realizing the firm's growth strategy.
The candidate will have worked as a CFO for an asset management or private equity firm pursuing a real asset investment strategy. The CFO will be hired for a new role that will be responsible for financial strategy, financial planning and analysis, financial reports, company audits, compliance, and bank relationships including financing, managing relationships with investors at a start-up asset management firm, financial & analytical oversight of operations and new deal acquisition & dispositions (from real property, planting decisions, to acquiring or starting operating businesses). They will collaborate with the CEO and the executive team to make decisions regarding company's financial strategy and operations. The candidate will possess a strong background as a current CFO and has held a CFO position for 6+ years in an asset management or private equity firm preferably with a focus on investing in real assets (farmland, infrastructure, commercial real estate, or food processing/marketing).
Background and Experience
· Significant experience supporting capital raising campaigns, M&A, due diligence and acquisition integration.
· Has been responsible for submitting filings and reports required by financial regulatory agencies consistent with FINRA and SEC regulations.
· Mastery of FP&A (Financial Planning & Analysis), accounting, and operational finance processes.
· Excellent verbal, written and analytical skills (including MS Excel and data manipulation).
· Experience presenting and representing an organization to outside stakeholders.
· Has a track record working with businesses going through growth periods and building teams.
· Experience managing a department.
· Experience overseeing financial aspects of operations of a company to maximize efficiency & profitability- including budgeting and real time budget to actual variance reporting & analysis.
· Strong experience with deal analysis (from real property, planting decisions, to acquiring or starting operating businesses).
· Experience with managing data science projects a plus, but not required.
· Assist with the firm's ongoing efforts to raise outside capital to fund the deployment of capital in real assets in the food and agricultural sector.
· Support due diligence review of prospective acquisition targets.
· Maintain a pipeline of potential investment opportunities.
· Assist with on-boarding and managing portfolio companies and operations.
· Help prepare portfolio companies and assets for sale.
· Identify and assist with development of new business opportunities for the firm.
· Act as the strategic point of contact for investors in the firm's various funds and investment vehicles.
· Represent the firm and interact with financial regulatory agencies.
· Blend real-world experience with insightful and actionable quantitative analysis.
· Create and present financial and tax strategy recommendations to CEO.
· Establish finance and accounting policies and procedures.
· Prepare financial statements and reports.
· Provide leadership for all financial planning and analysis, including ownership of annual budgeting, budget to actual variance reports, periodic forecasting, KPI/dashboard management and operational analytics processes that inform the CEO and senior management on the firm's and its portfolio companies' financial and operational performance in real time.
· Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision-making issues affecting the company and evaluate and advise on the impact of long-range planning.
· Lead strategy and execution for accounting, finance, treasury, tax and strategic planning.
· Implement processes, frameworks and systems that allow the organization to capture and utilize timely and accurate data across the business to make better decisions as we grow the development and construction operations.
· Develop and maintain relationships with external partners that support the finance, debt, acquisitions and development infrastructure.
· Develop organization prospects by studying local economic trends and revenue opportunities, projecting acquisition and expansion prospects, analyzing organizational operations and identifying opportunities for improvement, cost reduction, and systems enhancements as well as strategic deployment of capital to fund further investments.
· Build data analytics infrastructure to support the use of new technology systems and processes to streamline business functions and reporting.
· Optimize Cash flow through cash forecasting, working capital management and investment analysis.
· Execute a timely monthly close of all financial reporting and publish regular flash reports internally and externally to key stakeholders.
· Administer banking arrangements, loan agreements, covenant compliance and maintain adequate sources of capital for the company's current borrowings from commercial banks and other lending institutions.
· Partner with members of the executive team of the firm on financing strategy, board communications, and corporate development utilizing existing relationships and building new ones across the farmland real asset finance community.
· Partner with members of the executive team on developing and implementing short, medium and long-term business strategy.
· 15+ years' experience
· 6+ years min as a CFO in an asset management or private equity firm.
· Currently CFO of an asset management or private equity firm pursing a real asset strategy in food and agriculture.
· B.A. or B.S. degree (not necessarily in business, economics, or accounting).
· CPA, CFA, or MBA degree preferred but not required.
Preference for candidate to be in California, but open to candidates working remotely on a Pacific Standard Time schedule, with periodic visits to headquarters.